Bean's World

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Hello World

Well I've finally given in to peer pressure and joined the blogging masses. I used to think that my life just wasn't interesting enough to publish an online journal about. But you know, the more I thought about it, the more I kept thinking of all these great things to write about. Then I just kept procrastinating. Then I worried that I might piss someone off with a rant one day. Then I procrastinated some more. And finally, today, I said "what the hell, might as well give in" So welcome to Bean's World.

Hopefully, those who read this will find something interesting or entertaining to read. I've decided that if nothing else, I can always write about my job. I'm a nurse, and have been for the past four years. For the last year and a half, I have been a travel nurse. And for those with the question mark look over their faces, basically, I work for a company that contracts me out to different hospitals for short term periods of time (a standard contract is thirteen weeks). It's kind of like a temp agency for medical personnel. These kinds of companies started due to the nationwide nursing shortage that has swept America lately (stay tuned, I'm sure I'll post about that someday down the line).

When I was in nursing school, I found out about travel nursing. They make it sound so cool and exotic. And I started thinking to myself about how cool it would be to travel all over the country, seeing all the places I've never seen before, and get paid more than the average nurse, and get to live in an apartment that they furnish and pay the rent and utilities for. Why would anyone not do it?! So my plan was: work for two years to get some good experience under my belt and then off I would be flitting from city to city with no responsibilities except for me.

Well, as everyone knows... plans don't always work out. Here's what happened: just as I was finally a single girl all on my own with some good solid nursing experience under my belt, I met a boy. But not just any boy... THE boy. Stupid men, always screwing up plans. So I moved from Athens to Atlanta (where he was living), and took a contract job there, just to try it out. Things were awesome between us, but wait, what about my plan? Even though I didn't want to be away from him, I had to follow through with my plan. So after the Atlanta job, I took a contract job in Denver.

Denver was fun, scary, boring, interesting, depressing, and life-changing all in one. I learned alot at the hospital I worked at (inner-city, very eye-opening). I had fun skiing alot. I met lots of nice people, but no lasting friends. I liked living in another city besides Atlanta or Athens (the only two cities I had ever lived in up until then). But... I missed my boy, I missed my friends, I was terrified of driving in the snow, and most of the time, I just wished I could go home. I don't regret it at all though. It made me realize alot of things about myself that I'm not sure I would have if I hadn't gone. And most of all, it made me realize what a lucky girl I was to have met such a loving, supportive guy who let me follow my dream and never once held it against me.

So after that was over, I went back to Atlanta, where (much to my surprise) I was able to continue travel nursing within the Atlanta area, changing from hospital to hospital every so often. I was still making good money, but I got to be near my friends, family, and the best guy in the whole world. That satisfied me enough, but I was still holding on to the idea of the actual "travel" part of it. But I didn't want to go by myself again. I wanted him to come with me. Every now and then I would just mention a little something about it, just to see what he would say... I didn't have to say much, but he knew I was still into traveling. So finally, one day, he told me how he was becoming more and more miserable with his job, and was just ready to call it quits and move on to something new. Finally, he was going to be able to travel with me. The day I had been waiting for!

And well, here we are. We are in Boston! We just got up here last week, and let me tell you, it has been one hell of a ride!

Stay tuned, more to come soon, and thanks for reading.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home