Bean's World

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Fears and Myths Disbanded

Before I came up here to Boston, there were many stereotypes and preconceptions I had in my head about how things were going to be up here. There was a lot of stuff that I was nervous and worried about, but that has pretty much all gone away now. *sigh* I am finally feeling myself relaxing and settling in, and let me tell you, it is an absolutely wonderful feeling! For example, I was afraid everyone we met was going to be really rude. And I don't think I've even met one rude person yet. Everyone that I've met at the hospital has been really nice and helpful so far. And really, it was the hospital personnel that I was more worried about than anything. Like I was thinking there would be all these really snobby Harvard medical students to work with, and that all the nurses would just be running around and be too busy to ever pay attention to me or help me with anything. I'm completely off orientation now, and Monday night was my first night working without anyone precepting me. Despite the fact that I had a pretty challenging patient, and had to call on the resident, the respiratory therapist, and some of the other nurses several times for help, they were all very nice. It's really cool because the system they have there is just really efficient and well... it works! It's amazing I tell you.

Another thing I was worried about was the fact that we decided not to bring our cars up here, and that we decided to be completely dependent upon public transportation to get us around. Coming from a city where you have to drive everywhere to get anywhere, it's a big change. But I must say, it's worked out quite well for the most part. There have been a couple of places that we've had to take a cab to, but not even necessarily because they weren't walkable. (I think it was more because we were being lazy, and not used to walking that far.) Anyway, I've really been enjoying my walks to and from the subway to get to and from work. It's a lot easier than I imagined it would be.

Some of the stereotypes are true though. They really are crazy, scary drivers. I've found myself clutching the seat, white-knuckled, while sacrificing myself to the mercy of a cab driver. The roads are completely screwy thanks to our friend, The Big Dig. We've decided that half the time, the maps are useless, whether you are driving or walking. And I would say, they do honk more up here. But so far, I haven't seen any drivers cussing each other out. I am terribly afraid of crossing the street though. The Boston locals, however, are definitely not scared of crossing the street. It doesn't matter if the light is green, red, or purple, or if there are cars coming or not, they cross whenever they want to, wherever they want to. I'm not quite that brave yet.

So things are good. Life is good. I ain't scared no mo'. You know, it's good to try new things. You just have to be open-minded and positive about it. Like last night, I took Dave out for his birthday and we went to this really cool oyster bar. I decided to try some raw oysters for the first time, and let me just say that it is definitely an acquired taste. They kind of remind me of slimy dirt, but hey, at least I tried it.

I think more than anything, I am just really glad that now that all that stress is over with, I can finally sit back and enjoy the city for what it is. Like I can actually look around and take it all in. It really is a beautiful city, with the river and the harbor all around us. Today we took a "duck tour," and it was really fun. It provided us with a nice overview of the city, in addition to a little history. Plus it was a beautiful day. All the trees have burst forth with their fall colors, the sun was shining, and we got to see the beginning of a beautiful sunset on the Charles River as our tour was coming to an end.

Finally, I can breathe again.

2 Comments:

  • I don't know if Dave told you, but I'll be up there in three weeks. I hope we can work out lunch or drinks or something. One of my very best friends lives up there, so I may be up a couple more times before you guys leave, too.
    I concur on
    a) crazy drivers
    b) all the honking of the horns
    c) bold pedestrians. you'll become one, too, before you leave.
    d) the big dig and uselessness of maps. i'm sure you've already found that listening to the morning traffic is the best cause they'll tell you what's closed that day. but of course you're not driving so you probably don't have to pay too much attention to it all.
    And please have a canoli at Mike's Pastry for me!

    By Blogger Whitney, At 10/27/06, 4:54 PM  

  • I hope we will be able to get together when you come up!

    By Blogger Bean, At 10/31/06, 4:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home