Bean's World

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Happy Halloween!

A couple of days ago, we were like, what should we do for Halloween? Then somebody at work said we should go to Salem. (Little did we know how big of a Halloween celebration there is in Salem!) We took the commuter train from Boston, which is such an awesome deal! We walked five minutes from our apartment to the commuter train station, and after paying the small fee of $7.50 each for a round trip (it's about 17 miles outside of Boston), we were able to board the train. (As a side note, I was sooo excited to get on that train. OK, maybe I'm lame, but I've never ridden a train before, and damnit it was fun!)

Anyway, we got there at around 4:30 in the afternoon, and already there were a ton of people there. Everyone was all dressed up, they had streets blocked off, and there were street vendors everywhere. I was a little overwhelmed at first, because everywhere we looked there was something to do. But at the same time, I was in heaven, because I love Halloween and I love festivals. The only damper was we didn't end up getting dressed up. If I could do it over again, I would have found us the most awesome costumes, because so many people that were there went all out. Plus, I love getting dressed up for Halloween. It's just pure fun to me.

So at first we just kind of walked around a bit, trying to figure out what stuff was where. It was kind of funny because as you're walking along the street, there are all kinds of tours and museums advertised. But we didn't really have the inside scoop as to which ones were really worth it. Finally we decided to take a tour in the New England Pirate Museum. Well, I'll just say that it was OK. I guess it was worth the $6. It's just funny to me how awesome they make these things sound, and then you get inside, and you're like "this is it?" It was entertaining though. And I will say that it did provide a pretty good history of the pirates of the New England area. But if you're looking to see what actual pirate treasure looks like, all they have is one measly gold coin.

Next we took a tour of the famous Witch Museum of Salem. Most people think of Salem as being famous for the "witch" executions of 1692. This museum gave us an informative and historical perspective on the actual happenings during that horrifying year in history. I mean seriously, I think it's really sad that people executed innocent people based on the fake rantings of rebellious teenagers. I bet there are some seriously pissed off spirits roaming around that town.

After the witch museum, we had a lovely dinner right on the wharf where we got to "ooh" and "aah" over all the nice yachts parked there that we'll probably never be able to afford. We came out of dinner thinking that we would be able to get on board with a "ghost tale" tour of some sort. Not the case. As soon as we hit the main stretch it was like Mardi Gras on crack! We never found the place where the ghost story tour was supposed to meet because there were so many damn crazy drunk ass people between the ages of 16 and 21, we could hardly even walk down the street without getting run over, bumped into by some some girl's stupid wings, or yelled at by some drunken loud ass teenage voice! Apparently we didn't drink enough at dinner to be able to tolerate that crowd, and we got out of there before all hell broke loose.

You know, I hate things like that because they just make you feel all old and shit, and I'm only 26! I'm not old yet! All in all it was a fun Halloween, but I really wish we would've dressed up for it. That's what's Halloween's all about anyway... who has the best costume.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home