Bean's World

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Fashion Tips from Beantown

If there is one thing I've learned in the last couple weeks of living here in Boston, it is the importance of comfortable shoes. At this point, I now realize that I really didn't need to bring any shoes with heels. They are just not practical if you want to go anywhere that is farther than a couple of blocks away, and most of the time, you do. In fact, I don't know how business people function in this town. I have seen some people that wear tennis shoes with their suits, and I can only assume they change when they get to work. (Of course, they run the risk of a major fashion faux pas whenever they are in transit to and from work.) But people that walk around this city in high heels all the time must have either some serious callouses, prosthetic feet, or some sort of nerve disorder that does not allow feeling in the lower extremities. Since I have none of the above, I have decided to give up the battle of trying to walk around with cute high heeled shoes on. Obviously, this poses a major problem, because I prefer to look cute whenever possible.

Additionally, I have realized the importance of a good "city hat," as I call it. A city hat is very similar, but not to be confused with, a snow hat. A city hat is warm, usually solid-colored, sleek, modern-looking, and good for use with a number of outfits, whether casual or more dressed up. Also, an extremely important feature of a city hat is that when it fits properly, it keeps your hair from blowing around in the constant wind and getting stuck to freshly applied lip gloss. Conversely, a snow hat, which also must be warm, usually has snowflakes or other designs on it, and may have a pom-pom ball or a tassle affixed to the top of it. You see, you can't wear a snow hat in the city because you will look quite silly.

Because comfort is a must for me, and I would never want to be the butt of a fashion faux pas joke, today I went on a quest to find shoes and a hat that combine the elements of both comfort and fashion. Lucky for me, Sketchers was having a buy one, get one 20% off deal so I got two pairs of shoes. One is a pair of brown, vintage style tennis shoes, which I've kind of been wanting something like that for a while now. The other is a pair of very comfortable, very cute slip on shoes with a sparkly flower design on the toe and a little criss cross strap. In fact, my feet were hurting from walking around in high-heeled boots the whole time I was shopping, so I just went ahead and changed into them on the way home. Plus, I was really excited about them. My other find was a great city hat from Macy's that I think will go quite well with all of my coats and scarves. Now I think I will be getting along juuuust fine. Too bad I have to work the next two days because I am quite eager to prance around town in my new gear. Oh well, I guess I will have to wait until Thursday to live it up.

2 Comments:

  • have you checked out the original filene's basement, yet?

    By Blogger Whitney, At 11/8/06, 9:33 AM  

  • We saw a Filene's Basement when we were out shopping, and I really wanted to go but we ran out of time. I don't know if it was the original or not, but I'll definitely have to check it out.

    By Blogger Bean, At 11/10/06, 11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home