Bean's World

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Oh What a Day!

I have never been so happy to sit on the couch and put my feet up as I am right now. The past week has been busy busy busy with today being a doozie!

I had to work last Wednesday and Thursday night, which sucked. The one good thing about Thursday was that my Favie made me a delectable turkey dinner, so I wouldn't have to miss out. Yay! for that. As usual, I had to scarf it down and then run out the door to work. As soon as I walked outside, I knew it was going to be a crappy night. It was freaking cold, rainy, and windy! It was one of those days where my umbrella was absolutely useless in keeping me dry. I walked as fast as I could to the T station, and there was one of my favorite friends from work, sitting there, waiting on the train, totally soaked. He looked exactly like I felt, like a pissed off, wet cat. So we got to work and found out that we were both lucky enough to get the crappy, super busy, double patient assignments. By the end of the night, we were both so exhausted and pissed, that he invited me to his apartment for a few beers. I was like "hell yeah!" So does drinking beer at 8am mean I have a problem? Oh well, it was worth it, because I slept sooo good that day.

I woke up earlier than usual on Friday because we had decided to go down to Providence, RI to visit my sister in celebration of Turkey Day. Lucky for us, one of my sister's friends used to work as a professional chef in San Francisco, and made us a delicious gourmet meal. Then we proceeded to drink a lot of wine and beer, went to a party that some of her friends from school were having, and overall had a superfun night.

Saturday morning we rolled out of bed and hopped on a commuter train back to Boston, just in time for me to take a nap before having to go back to work. Lucky for Dave, Gunner came to visit for the night, so he had a buddy to watch the game with. (Yay! for friends!) And then Sunday night I had to work yet again. Luckily, Saturday and Sunday were great nights at work because I got to take care of the cutest, sweetest old man who behaved, and slept almost all night both nights.

Monday and Tuesday weren't too exciting. They mostly consisted of sleeping and snuggling, two of my favorite things to do. But I will say that I am quite proud of myself because I used up all of our turkey and rice leftovers, and made a really good casserole for dinner. Betty would be proud. Here's the recipe in case anyone's interested.

Today, well actually yesterday, now that it's almost 4am, we took off on a little adventure to NYC. One of my college friends, who is from Philly, was in town visiting her family for the holidays this week. We decided NYC would be a fun, sort of halfway, meeting place. So Dave and I flew there from Boston yesterday morning, arriving around 11am. We flew on JetBlue Airways, and I am now one of their biggest fans. We got a cheap-ass one-way ticket for $55, the leather seats were quite comfy with plenty of leg room, and we got free satellite radio and TV, viewable on the flatscreens imbedded in the headrests of each seat. Plus, we didn't even have to pay for headphones, unlike some other airlines I know. (cue Eeyore's rant now) The flight was all of 45 minutes to JFK, and then we took a train into Manhattan. (P.S. I love trains... they are superfun!)

So we met up at Penn Station, and off we went into the city. We didn't do anything that was particularly exciting. We mostly just hung out, grabbed some lunch at a local deli, walked around Times Square, walked to Central Park, walked around and looked in cheesy souvenir shops, and did I mention walked? For dinner we took the subway to the Upper East Side, and met up with an old highschool friend of mine. It was good to see her, even if only for a short period of time, and the Thai food we ate really hit the spot. After dinner, we tried to make it over to the Rockefeller Center in time for the tree lighting. Much to my dismay, there were a million people down there already, and they had the streets blocked off in a weird way, so you couldn't really get through to see the tree. I was really looking forward to seeing that tree too. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to try to fight the crowd because we had to catch a bus to get us back to Boston. And I swear, I am so glad that we left when we did.

We had to take the subway down to Chinatown to catch our bus. You see, the bus leaves from Chinatown in NYC and drives straight to Chinatown in Boston, and vice versa. It's kind of a secret Bostonian trick for cheap transportation to and from Manhattan because it's only $15 one-way. But it's also kind of a running joke, because they say that if you ride this bus, you will just be surrounded by all these crazy Asian people talking on their cell phones and being rambunctious. Anyway, by the time we got on a train to Chinatown, it was already 9:30pm, which was the exact time we were supposed to be meeting to get on the bus. (Anybody that knows us will probably think this is pretty funny.) So we get to Chinatown around 9:45, and then discover that the bus station is a good 8 blocks away. After trying frantically to hail a cab, all of which ignore us, of course, we finally just start walking as fast as we can to get there, praying that our bus doesn't leave us behind. So by this time it's probably around 9:50, and the bus is supposed to leaving at 10. Oh yeah, not to mention, it is the last bus leaving for the evening. Our fast walking, soon breaks into a run, and we're just tearing through the streets of Chinatown, trying to find this damn bus! Finally, we get there at like 9:55, hop on the bus, and we're safe! Whew!

Once we recover from the horror of thinking we might be left behind in Chinatwon for the evening, we then noticed the stench of Chinese food emanating throughout the bus. Once our noses got used to it though, it wasn't so bad. There were plenty of seats, and the seats were not great, but comfortable enough. I was amused to see that there were raised footrests for each seat, which I am sure is a must for a bus that caters to people who tend to be a little on the short side. I was also glad to see that everyone on the bus was also pretty quiet, as we were both hoping to take a nap on the ride home. So we got started on the way home, and it wasn't long before we noticed a horrible foot odor. Across the aisle from us, there was a very sleepy rasta-looking man who apparently felt comfy enough to take his shoes off while he napped. Greeeaat. This horrible foot odor pretty much stayed with us the whole ride home, despite our efforts to ward it off by putting some perfume that I had in my purse under our noses. On top of all the delectable odors, the bus ride was quite bumpy in parts, and they left the lights on inside the bus the whole time we were driving. I mean, come on, it's a 4 hour bus ride, starting at 10pm! They should know that people probably want to sleep. Obviously not. Anyway, now we know why it only costs $15.

All in all, I guess it could have been a lot worse. And now I am just so glad to be sitting here on my nice comfy couch, in my comfy clothes, with my cute, snuggly kitty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home