Bean's World

Monday, December 25, 2006

Merry Christmas!

Well I'm happy to report that I am still alive and kicking. I have survived Phase One of holiday craziness and am currently back in Boston for a few days to work, unpack, and repack, before we travel to Atlanta for post-Christmas craziness and New Year's. It was really nice to visit with my mom, my stepdad, and my two little sisters in Louisville, KY. My little sisters (well, they are actually half-sisters, but I always call them sisters because that's what they are to me) make me feel older every year. They are ages 16 and 12, and every time I see them (usually only about twice a year), I think about how much they have grown up since the last time I have seen them, which is such a grandma-like thing to think or say. I look at their outfits and often wonder if I will ever be that cool again. Actually, I'm pretty sure I never was as cool as they are, and probably never will be. Oh well, it's been neat to watch them grow up, and I wonder what they will turn out to be like when they are adults. Unfortunately, right now they are both kind of in that whiny, teenage/preteen phase, where they complain about everything and seem to take everything for granted. My stepdad is really bad about spoiling them, and I am afraid that they will have a rude awakening once they leave the house for college. I suppose it will be around that time that I step in and give them some wise, big sisterly advice that will make them realize the sacrifices that my parents have made in order for them to have what they do. Either way, I still enjoyed getting to see everyone for at least a few days.

Tonight I was supposed to work, but somehow I felt very ill when I woke up, and didn't think I could possibly work this evening. Honestly, I was quite impressed with my dramatic interpretation of a person with strep throat, as I called in sick to work this afternoon. If the nursing gig doesn't work out, I definitely think I should pursue an acting career. I do feel a little guilty about calling in sick, but not guilty enough to be unable to enjoy the day off. (If you think I'm a bad person for calling in sick on a holiday, then you should read my previous post, somewhere around the third paragraph down.)

Anyway, this has turned out to be one of the best Christmas Eve's I have ever had. Dave and I slept in, lazed around for a while, exchanged gifts, and made a lovely broiled steak dinner together (OK fine, he pretty much made it, and I helped a little). I would not have given the day that I have spent with him today up for any stinking old job. So maybe we won't be able to spend today or tomorrow with our friends or family, but we at least we got to spend it together. And to me, he is the most important person to spend it with. In fact, I have been so happy to not be at work today, that I have burst into several songs and dances, coupled with cheesy Christmas music. That's always a good way to gauge my level of happiness: how many songs and dances I do in a day. It's strange, I know, and perhaps I have now revealed too much, but after a bottle of wine and a few beers, I'm not sure I care.

All I know is, if I had worked today, I would have been totally bitchy and grumpy all night, knowing that I wasn't able to spend the holiday doing something fun. I have realized that it's really important to me to make a point of celebrating the holidays in one way or another with someone (or with those) that I really care about. It sucked having to go through so much (working four days straight and then driving fifteen hours to get there) just to see my family, but the fact that I was even able to go to Louisville meant alot to me and made it worth the stress in the end. And maybe today wasn't actually Christmas Day, but the fact that Dave and I got to have our own day to celebrate made it special. And maybe it wasn't very traditional: we didn't have a real tree or decorations or a huge turkey dinner. But we made do with what we had, and we both still had a really great day together.

And speaking of making do with what we had, here's what our Christmas tree looked like:


(In case you can't tell, I made the shape of a tree on our wall in the living room with a strand of Christmas lights. And everyone thought my older sister was the the creative one in the family. Ha! I sure showed her!)

Anyway, here's to making do and appreciating what you have in life. Cheers and Merry Christmas/ Happy Holidays to all!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home