Bean's World

Monday, January 22, 2007

Back to Work Again

This past week I have really taken couch surfing to a whole new level. I've done a few things here and there, but seriously, for the last five days I have pretty much been sitting here on this same spot on the couch doing nothing but watching TV or playing on the computer. Somehow, it's gone by really fast, and all of a sudden tonight I have to be back at work for the first time in two weeks. I hope I still remember how to be a nurse.

Actually, I'm kind of excited about going back to work again tonight. I get to start over in a way because although I'll be working at the same hospital, I'm going to be working on a different unit. I'll be working with a totally different population of patients since I'll be working on the Neuro ICU, and before I was working on Thoracic Surgery ICU. In layman's terms, I'll be working with patients whose "brain don't work" instead of those whose "lungs don't work." Most people don't like working with neuro patients, but I don't mind too much. The best is when they get all paranoid, thinking that you're trying to kill them and scream profanities at you. Either way, apparently the Thoracic Surgery ICU unit is the hardest and most dreaded unit to work on at this hospital, so the new unit I'll be going to can only be an upgrade. And honestly, the Thoracic ICU is one of the best places I've ever worked, so the Neuro ICU should be a piece of cake.

For those of you who have been following along with this little story of mine, you may be wondering whatever happened to the idea of us going to San Diego. The thing is, we realized that going to San Diego would be quite the logistical nightmare. Not only is it 3,040 miles away from Boston, but also we would have to deal with picking up our cars in Atlanta and driving out there separately. Plus, Dave and I have both found jobs that are going to look really great on a resume, and we don't know what kind of jobs we would be able to find out there. Besides that, Boston is an awesome city that we're just not ready to leave yet. As a compromise, I told Dave that we are just going to have to go on a vacation out there sometime soon. So here we shall stay for another three months.

One of the main ideas behind going to San Diego was that we wanted to go there for the nice weather in the winter. And what do you know? Even southern CA had freezing weather last week. Anyway, I haven't been too traumatized by the cold weather here so far. It's all about layering. Even last night when I went to the grocery store in 20 degree weather I didn't freeze to death. I was quite warm in my nice, snuggly coat. In fact, I've been a little disappointed about the lack of snowfall here so far. Everyone keeps saying "Get ready, it's coming!" Well I'm already ready already! Come on, I want to go sledding in the park!

So I just checked the weather report and it's currently 26 degrees and cloudy with a forecast for one inch of snow overnight. I guess I'll take what I can get.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home