Bean's World

Thursday, January 17, 2008

A Day in the Life

I have been working on this little narrative on and off since we got back from our ski trip.... It's not quite done yet but I've been wanting to post something, so here's what I have so far...

I wake up. My bed is warm and snuggly, and I have my sheets and blankets pulled up tight to my chin. Still half asleep, I try to fight my heavy eyelids and wipe the Grand Marnier and red wine fog from my brain. The sweet smell of brewing coffee wafts into my room from the kitchen. I hear the cheesy "Good Morning Vail" song coming from the TV in the next room, which is always set to the local Vail station in the mornings. Hearing that song lets me know that it's 8am, and I must peel myself out of bed. I wake up a little more as I finally roll out of bed and shuffle in my slippers towards the voices in the next room.

I sit by the fire drinking a fresh cup of hot coffee, just trying to absorb as much heat as possible. As I watch the daily weather report, I notice that it is currently 20 degrees and snowing. I start to get excited when the snow report comes on, saying that there are 9 inches of "fresh pow" on the slopes. Time to hurry up and get ready to tackle that powder! I slurp down my coffee with a bowl of oatmeal, eyeing the bathroom door. As soon as the person inside emerges, I throw my dishes in the dishwasher quickly, knowing that if I don't go ahead and take my turn in the bathroom, one of the other four people I'm sharing it with will jump in ahead of me. I know that if I'm not ready in time, I'll be subject to the usual playful, but still really annoying, prodding from my dad to hurry up.

I finish putting my hair in pigtails just in time to grab my gear and join the others in clearing the fresh snow off our rented SUV. As I walk outside, the refreshing cold hits my face, and I feel snowflakes melting one by one on my nose and lips. My boots are already covered in snow just from walking up the driveway to where the car is parked, and I can see the intricate shape of each tiny snowflake that has nestled itself into the folds of my jacket.

When the car is finally ready, we all pile in, hoping that we'll make it up the slippery driveway. The four wheel drive of our Durango dredges through the snow with ease, and I relax as we head toward the ski shop. I take in the sites of our magical Christmastown while the rest of my family chats about what their ski plan is for the day. With at least a foot of snow on every rooftop we pass, I am reminded of little gingerbread houses with marshmallow roofs.

Before I know it, we have already found our favorite spot in the Lionshead Village parking deck, which is at the base of one of the three main faces of the mountain. We head through the deck, across the street, and through the village towards the ski shop. Quaint shops and restaurants line the cobblestone pathway through the village. We pass rosy-faced couples, families, and singles, young and old, of all colors, shapes, and sizes. Everyone is bundled up in colorful ski apparel, as they trot excitedly over the cobblestones in their ski or snowboard boots.

to be continued....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home