Bean's World

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Blast From the Past

Every Tuesday I try to get to work a little early so I can have a chat with my favorite teacher from high school, who is now retired from teaching, but works a couple of evenings a week at the information desk at the hospital. He is the kind of guy who really makes an impression on you, whether you are one of his previous high school students, or a family member of a patient at the hospital, just trying to find out the right room number. He's jolly and feisty, always cracking a joke, always wearing a kind smile, and always telling one of his funny little anecdotes. I am sure that I am not the only one of his previous students who makes a point to swing by for a chat. As it turns out, my thinking is absolutely correct.

When I went to visit him last Tuesday, there were two other people already in front of one side of the desk. I went to the other side to wait for their conversation to finish, thinking that he was probably giving out a room number and would be done shortly. He noticed me and said, "Well here's yet another Lakeside person!" I looked over at the other two people and smiled, thinking to myself, "Do I know them?" The younger of the two, stared right at me, waiting for me to recognize her. I had nothing. Finally, after an awkward moment or two, she said her name.

As soon as she said who she was, I absolutely recognized her. But wow, if I had passed her on the street, I never would have known it. She looked different, way different. In high school, this girl was like a stick....skin and bones. And now, I'll just say, she takes up much more room (like 3 times more).

I have actually seen her a couple of times in passing since our high school graduation, and I remember that she had gained some weight in college, but it seems like she's gained even more since then. What in the heck happened? She was very athletic in high school, and always had a ton of energy. It just doesn't seem like her to have gained so much weight. The only thing I can think is that maybe she ended up with some kind of medical condition that made her gain so much. I mean, this was way more than your average freshman fifteen.

My first reaction is much along the lines of high school maturity: "Haha! You're fat now and I'm not! I can still fit into my high school clothes and you can't! Haha!" You see, this girl was not only skinny and athletic in high school, but she was one of the most popular girls in our class. She was one of the people that I tried so hard to impress and fit in with back then. Isn't this what she deserves for not giving shy, awkward, and uncool people like me the time of day?

Well whatever she has gone through in the past 9 years, doesn't look like it has been fun. And for that, I say, shame on myself for thinking evil thoughts. I could tell that she felt awkward and uncomfortable, because I am sure she is very aware that she looks very different than she did when we graduated. But I must admit, it's hard for me not to be just a little smug.

Despite my initial reaction, deep down I do hope that she is happy, well, and has been able to follow through with her hopes and dreams for life. Nobody ever got anywhere by being happy for someone else's misfortunes.

2 Comments:

  • Friend of Dave's here and had to weigh in! In seventh grade gym class (why is it always gym class), this big fattie was always threatening to beat me up. Every day with the threatening. She and her big ol fat redneck posse. Now she works at the gas station where I fill my car up.
    I allowed myself a moment of satisfaction before I reminded myself that I should be charitable in spirit.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12/6/07, 10:11 PM  

  • LOL! I'm glad I'm not alone!

    By Blogger Bean, At 12/10/07, 1:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home