Bean's World

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Junk in the Trunk, Part Two: Spring is Here!


After everything we went through on the first driving day, the second day was a breeze. We actually got up and on the road by 10AM. (Of course, we were partially motivated by the fact that we had to get to our apartment before the office closed so we could get our keys.) The weather was beautiful, warm, and sunny. And we didn't have any slow fast food service or unexpected traffic. Plus, we only had about six hours of driving instead of eight.

As we drove further and further south, everything kept getting greener and greener. And I started to feel more awake and more alive, the closer we got to home. I don't think I ever realized how much I enjoyed the springtime in the south until it was taken away from me. Over the course of two days, we went from a place where the trees were still completely bare, to a place where there were a million shades of green and flowers blooming everywhere.

When we finally pulled up to our new apartment, I could hardly keep from dancing around in the parking lot, as I felt the warm air envelope me, and I looked around at all the blooming plants and flowers. I was wearing pants and longsleeves, and for the first time in six months, I was actually hot! I don't think I've ever been so excited to put shorts on.... that is, until I saw the ghostly shade of white my legs were. Yeah, I'm gonna have to work on that!

So after we spent six and a half hours packing up the Durango, it took us probably less than an hour to unpack it! We are still working on getting everything put away around the apartment, but most of the work is done now. (Thank God!)

Overall, our new apartment is really nice. It has a ton of windows which let in a lot of light during the daytime. We have a decent size balcony, which will be great for watching the fireflies and listening to the crickets at night. In general, the living room/ dining room/ kitchen area has a very open feel. And the bedroom has a large walk-in closet, with plenty of room for both of our clothes and shoes. We do also have a nice fireplace, which we probably won't ever use while we're here, but it's a nice thought anyway. And last but not least, we have carpet again! (It sounds silly, but it's amazing how much colder, less cozy, dirtier, and dustier a place feels when it has all hardwood floors, like our apartment in Boston did.)

There is just one problem: those damn green couches! Here's the thing with the couches: they are the exact same couches that I had when I did a contract in Denver and that we had in Boston. They are ugly, they are hard as a rock, and only one person can lay down on them at a time. I hate them with a passion! And I really thought that we would get away from them this time, because we thought we were using a different furniture rental company than the one my company uses. Dave thought it was pretty funny when we walked in and saw them, but my good mood instantly turned sour. I don't know what it is with those damn couches but I can't get away from them! Arghh!

At this point, we've pretty much decided that after this summer, we will definitely be ready to resume a state of permanent residence. We're pretty burned out on moving around so much, and we want all of our stuff back! (including our nice, comfy couches) By now, we don't even know what all stuff we have in the storage unit. I swear, it's gonna be like Christmas when we rediscover all of the stuff we have!

For now, we are working on getting settled into Greensboro for the summer. But we are hoping that while we are here, David will be able to find a decent, permanent job in either Atlanta or Athens. So Atlanta/ Athens people: keep your eyes and ears peeled for job opportunities.... we miss you guys and are ready to make our way home!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home