Bean's World

Sunday, March 25, 2007

The Natives are Getting Restless

I am tired, grumpy, and irritable. Why you ask? Could be the weather. It's cloudy and 44 degrees out, it snowed again last night, and it's March for godsakes! I was really just kidding when I was hoping for snow in January. OK, we got some, and now I'm done. Couldn't we at least make it up to the fifties by now? Where the hell is my sunshine?! And there's this Toyota commercial that keeps playing on TV. The song goes: It's coming...Can you feel it?...It's spring... I think that commercial is just a cruel joke.

Spring fever is real. It happens to people, and it's happening to me right now. I am so tired of this stuffy old apartment. It doesn't help that Dave has been sick all week, so we haven't been able to go out and do anything fun this week or this weekend. Today is actually the first day that he has woken up without a fever of at least 101. But he still has a very persistent cough and I swear this place is crawling with germs. I seriously need some fresh air. Don't get me wrong. Of course I am glad that he is starting to shake whatever it is that has been plaguing him all week, but that bug of his needs to hurry up and get the hell on so we can get back to our lives again!

Yesterday I was cooped up in a classroom, listening to lectures about crap that I've already learned. Every two years I must endure one of those days so that I can get recertified on ACLS. This is the third time around, and it's getting old I tell you. I can resuscitate someone just fine. I do it all the time at work. Shouldn't that be enough?

Luckily the class got out an hour early, and since yesterday it was at least sunny and 45 degrees, I decided to get off at a subway station that was farther away than usual so that I could have a nice walk home by the park. Boy was I in for a surprise! I came up the stairs out of the station, and immediately found myself in the middle of this:

The sign reads: Stop the Biolab

The sign reads: Stop Iraq War/ No Iran War/ IMPEACH

The rainbow flag speaks for itself.

A view of the group in the Boston Common from afar, just to give you a little more perspective on the size.

So the best I could tell at the time, it was a pro-earth, anti-war/ anti-Bush, pro-gay rights demonstration. According to the news story, I guess it was mostly geared towards anti-war/ anti-Bush, but I guess the other groups just decided to jump on the bandwagon. Either way, it was pretty impressive to find myself in the middle of it. People were chanting and banging on drums all around me as they marched by. I've never experienced anything like it.

At this point it looks like that's going to be the highlight of the weekend. Maybe I'll feel better if I take another walk this afternoon. Sometimes you just have to get out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home