Bean's World

Monday, September 29, 2008

Weekend Update

This past weekend was a lot of fun, and once again it has come and gone a little too quickly. But before we get to the fun stuff, how about a few thoughts about my second interview?

I arrived at the office precisely on time, only to find out that neither the nurse manager nor either of the doctors that I was supposed to be meeting/ interviewing with were there. It turned out that one of the doctors was doing emergency surgery at Grady, the other doctor was getting ready for emergency surgery at Kennestone, but would be by as soon as possible to meet with me, and the nurse manager had to run an errand for one of the cardiothoracic surgeons who share the office with the neurosurgeons. All were excusable absences of course, but it made for a bit of an awkward start. While I was waiting for everyone to arrive, I spoke briefly with the neurosurgery nurse practitioner and at length with the one nurse that currently works for all four of the doctors. Finally, the nurse manager arrived, whom I spoke briefly with, and shortly thereafter, the doctor arrived, who spent at least a good twenty minutes talking to me (which I felt was quite generous, since he still had a brain abscess to remove later that Friday afternoon).

All in all, the office itself seemed very nice, as it was new, clean, and well laid out. In addition to meeting the medical staff, I also met the secretaries and receptionists, and everyone that I met that day was very nice and friendly. The overall atmosphere of the office was friendly and laidback. I talked with the current nurse for a long time, and she gave some good insight as to the job responsibilites, the pace, and the general workflow. I really like her, and I was disappointed to find out that she would be leaving in mid-October to return to working twelve hour shifts in the hospital. I also enjoyed my meeting with the neurosurgeon, as he was easy to talk to and seemed genuinely interested in getting to know me better.

I could see myself fitting in well there, and I just really hope that I presented myself well enough to them that they would also see me as a good fit. There was also another candidate for the job there at the same time I was, and that really caught me off guard. We didn't have to interact or anything, but it was just kind of weird to actually see my competition as we passed each other in the hallway. Not only was it awkward, but I had to suppress the urge to stick my foot out and "accidentally" trip her as she walked by. (I'm not competitive at all, or catty for that matter... haha!) Before I left, I reiterated my interest in the job and my eagerness to begin working. The nurse manager said I should hear something within the next 1-2 weeks. (One or two weeks?! Really?! Does it really take that freaking long to make a decision?!! Ugh, why oh why must they torture me like this?)

So Friday night we met up with RS and ES to catch up and have a few drinks in downtown Roswell. This time, E and I went to have wine and girl talk at Nine, while DD and RS went to have boy talk and beer at Diesel. Nine was a great little wine bar where we sat outside and enjoyed the people watching. Their wine list was like a book, and although our server had only been working there a few months and eventually admitted that he still had quite a bit to learn about wine, I give him a B+ for effort. (I think he got a little busy towards the end and we had to track him down to get our check.) We were able to get as many free wine samples as we wanted until we found one that we liked, and although I thought it was a little overpriced, at least each glass was a nice sized serving. We also were very entertained by the scantily dressed, luxury car driving, drunk, middle-aged trophy wives who seemed to make up the majority of the people walking or driving along the sidewalk. If I ever end up like that, someone please shoot me.

Saturday night I attended a bachelorette party for a friend of mine who is getting married on the beach this weekend (which I'm really looking forward to!) We had a great time having girl talk at LW's midtown condo while snacking and drinking her lethal party punch (beer + vodka + pink lemonade... who ever knew it would be so tasty?) Then he headed out to CosmoLava, where we all drank and danced the night away. I think we ended up passing out around 4 am after taking some hilarious video footage of the bachelorette talking absolute nonsense. I can't wait to head to the beach this weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home