Bean's World

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Cats!


Last night we revisited the Boston Opera House. This time, we went to see Cats, the musical. Has anyone else seen it? I would be interested to hear other opinions on it.


Although it was not quite what I expected, I did enjoy it. Our seats were pretty good: up in the far left mezzanine, the second row back. We could see everything fairly well, but we did not have very good speaker coverage there, so it was hard to hear the lyrics clearly. So that kind of sucked because there are very few spoken parts in it, as it is almost entirely music. (Yes, I do realize that we went to see a musical, but you know what I mean. This particular musical was pretty much back to back songs, with a line or two of spoken words thrown in there every now and then.) As a result, it was kind of hard to figure out what they were singing about. Luckily, it doesn't really have a complicated plot (or much of a plot at all). Parts of it were a little boring too, especially when they would sing essentially the same song over and over again.


Also, the whole production in general seemed a little outdated. You could definitely tell that it was a child of the 80's, between the synthesized sounding music and the spandex bodysuits with furry leg warmers that the "cats" wore. I was quite amused by it, but at the same time, I was thinking that the production would have been updated a little more as the years went by. I guess you're not really supposed to mess with the classics though. And maybe the whole eighties thing is just part of the charm of it.


Overall, I'm definitely glad we went to see it. It had such a long run on broadway, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Plus, it was pretty funny how they made fun of the different stereotypical cat personalities. As a cat owner, maybe I was able to appreciate that part of it a little more. And you know, in general I really enjoy going to see theatrical productions: musicals, plays, ballets, concerts, anything. It's just a fun treat for me.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home