Bean's World

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Getting Warmer

It's a miracle! The temperature actually made it up to 54 degrees yesterday! I definitely have no problem with that. Today it's supposed to get up to a high of 58! I'm not getting my hopes up though. The forecast for the end of this week is predicting highs back down to the 40's. Of course, it's still better than the 5 degree weather with the -8 wind chill that I endured last week.

My weekend, as usual, went by way too fast. Friday night we went to the Harpoon Brewery down by the waterfront. They were having an early St. Patrick's Day celebration, complete with plenty of great beer, about a million drunk people under a huge tent that I wished was even bigger than it was, and a great U2 cover band. Basically, we spent a $15 cover charge to get a plastic pint glass with the Harpoon logo on it, only to have to elbow our way through a huge crowd of people that had already been drinking for a few hours, only to have to pay $5 per pint of beer. Oh well, I guessed we should've pre-gamed that one. At least it's really good beer!

Afterwards, we almost froze to death, waiting in a 20-minute line to get into a crowded bar where some of our friends were hanging out. Somehow they had gotten completely wasted over the past two hours since we had seen them. Again, more alcohol was needed to make the situation tolerable. Luckily, the bartender was a quick worker, and soon we were on our way. Over the course of the night, we ended up fending off a guy for one of our friends, pretending that we hadn't seen her, and going home early because one of our other friends got sick at the bar. It was just like college times all over again!

Saturday morning we fought through our hangovers and woke up at 8 AM to pick up a rental car and make it to Manchester, NH by noon. My mom's sister and her family live there, and my mom's parents live about 45 minutes north, in Belmont. We had a nice little family get together with them, which included a homemade lunch and a rousing game of dominoes. It was kind of funny because I hadn't seen them in about seven years. In fact, that's usually about how often I see them. But I can definitely see where I get my competitive side from, the way they argued about the rules of dominoes. I mean really, it's just dominoes. It was all in good fun though.

That afternoon, we followed my grandparents to their home in Belmont. It wasn't long before my grandfather offered us a glass of wine (I think, more because he wanted one, since it was only three in the afternoon). We made some conversation for a little while, and then watched Waking Ned Devine. It was an enjoyable movie, but I couldn't help thinking to myself, "I haven't seen these people in several years, and they want to watch a movie?" I think they were just trying to entertain us, but I couldn't help but wonder if I thought it was rude or not. Anyway, after the movie, my grandpa played some music for us so he could show off his impressive stereo system. (Perhaps a little known fact about my grandpa is that he developed a certain speaker design in the 1970's that was once claimed by critics to be the "best loudspeakers in the world.") That night, they took us out for a nice Italian dinner. Just when it seemed like we were finally getting warmed up to each other, dinner was over, and it was time to part ways. All I can say is, I wish I was closer to that side of the family so that visits were not so few and far between. Most of all, I hope that's not the last time I see my grandparents before one of them passes away.

That night, we stayed in the cutest bed and breakfast that was owned by a really sweet couple. They started the Lighthouse Inn B & B after they both retired. If anyone is ever going through New Hampshire anytime soon, I highly recommend it. The place was immaculate, the bed was comfortable, the owners were friendly and attentive, and the breakfast the next morning was delicious. It's near Lake Winnipesaukee, the largest lake in New Hampshire, and, interestingly enough, the setting of What About Bob?

Sunday morning we had planned to ski at Gunstock ski area, about a fifteen minute drive from the B & B. Wouldn't you know it? We finally decided to try New England skiing, and it warmed up so much over the weekend that it actually rained that morning. I was prepared for disappointment, but by the time we made it over to the mountain, the rain had stopped, and all lifts were operational. We had an awesome day of spring skiing, as we went on practically every trail they had open.

By the time we got home Sunday night, we were both exhausted. I ended up doing my sleep marathon again, as I slept for a good twelve hours, waking up at 2pm yesterday. Since it's now 5:20AM, soon I'll go back to bed so I can sleep all day. Hopefully, I'll be able to at least experience a little bit of the heat wave before I have to go to work tonight. It's gonna be a scorcher out there!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home