Bean's World

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Speaking of News for Sale...

Now that the cat's finally out of the bag about our next destination, we've started making plans for our move down south. This includes me trying to find a job that is close to David's new job. Me finding a job directly translates into where the available jobs actually are. And I don't know much about Greensboro, but I wasn't expecting to find a whole lot of availability because most of the travel nurse jobs are at the big teaching hospitals in big cities.

So at the beginning of last week, I told my recruiter that I wanted to find a job in Greensboro, NC. Upon the initial survey, my recruiter found several orders for jobs, but they were all in Raleigh, Durham, or Chapel Hill. Surprise, surprise: Duke medical school is in Durham and UNC's medical school is in Chapel Hill, so that's where the big hospitals and where all the jobs are. I was like "Well that's great and all, but I'm going to actually be living at least an hour away from there." And here we go again...

All the stress and worry about our previous move to Boston came rushing back as I remembered everything we went through to get up here in the first place. I wondered if I was going to have to go through all that crap again: not finding a job until the last minute, feeling pressured by my recruiter to take a job that wasn't really what I wanted, not knowing where I was going to be living until a week before the move-in date, etc. But I decided to just chill out, let all of that go, and have faith that somehow everything would work out.

And what do you know? Today I spoke with the ICU nurse manager at High Point Regional Hospital. High Point, NC is not only the next town over from Greensboro, but it is also the furniture capital of the world. So I can work and buy discount furniture in the same place... awesome! Although the commute time will still be longer than I would have preferred (probably about thirty minutes), it is at least doable, and everything else about this hospital sounds great. After an extremely pleasant, hour long conversation with the nurse manager this afternoon, the job was all mine!

So now that we can both check "job" off of our list, all we have to do is find an apartment. This could prove harder than we think, but I told myself that I wasn't going to stress. It can't be that hard to find a furnished apartment with a four month lease can it? I'm sure we'll figure something out. Until then I'll be looking forward to those balmy summer nights with all the crickets chirping and the fireflies sparkling in the trees.

Look out south.... here we come!

2 Comments:

  • I think your outlook on the job/apartment is wonderful. Congrats on finding something *close* to what you wanted!

    By Blogger Oob, At 3/15/07, 6:12 PM  

  • All i can think of to say as i sit here and shivver is... "bitches!" But, really, I'm glad for you both..really. No..really.

    By Blogger Gunner, At 3/15/07, 7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home